Physical Installation of the Person Reader
The Person Reader is comprised of up to three main sections. These include the Sensor Head, Support Hardware (NUC PC and housing), and the Access Control Panel interface. There are currently five Person Reader sensor heads. All units have a camera system and feedback hardware. Variants include touchscreen and keypad integration and each of these two may optionally include an integrated card reader.
Sensor Head types
- Single gang mounted unit with Camera and A/V feedback – no card reader option
- Single gang mounted keypad equipped unit with Camera and A/V feedback – with or without card reader option
- Double gang mounted touchscreen-equipped unit with Camera and A/V feedback – with or without card reader option.
The selected Person Reader sensor head is mounted on the unsecured side of a secure portal. The sensor head is interconnected with its support hardware (NUC PC) via USB, HDMI, and Audio cables. These cables are run to the support hardware, normally on the secure side of the portal controlled by the Person Reader, and within a distance of 6’ due to USB performance limits. Ethernet and Power wires are run from the support hardware location to the ACP and switch locations.
(TR – Add Typical Drawing here)
This document is divided into three sections:
- Section 1 - Sensor Head Mounting Location
- Section 2 - Support Hardware Location
- Section 3 - Power and Access Control Panel interconnection.
Section 1 - Sensor Head Mounting Location
The sensor head is mounted next to a Portal to be secured, at a height of 52 to 60” above the finished floor. The sensor head should be installed to ensure the onboard camera is “looking” where an approaching portal user is walking. Example: The Sensor head can’t be installed too close to an adjacent wall without shimming the sensor head viewing angle back into the approach lane. Like any camera installation, lighting, back-lighting, and field of view must all be considered.
- Properly mounted readers should not alter the behavior of users approaching an unlocked door
- Mount reader
- Such that middle camera is 52” – 60” (center camera AFF)
- ADA Compliance the PR can be mounted at 50" (center camera AFF)
- Next to handle-side of the door
- In the same plane as the door
- Such that it is facing approaching users at an arm’s length
- Away from spotlights
- Such that middle camera is 52” – 60” (center camera AFF)
Things to Avoid
- Reader facing the door
- Obstructed field of view
- Hard or inconvenient for users to position themselves to face the PR
- Good placement
- Good lighting
- The reader recognizes you as you approach the door
To frontally face this device users would have to:
- Block the door they are trying to open
- Face away from where they want to go
Typical - All
Typical Single Door with Person Reader
Typical Double Door with Person Reader
Device Location on Double Door
Panel Offline Troubleshooting Guide
Person Reader Wiring
BluB0X Controller Main Components Description
Typical Person Reader Install Line Drawing
At the sensor head mounting location, cut in a single work box or ring. If you are installing a sensor head with the Touch Screen option, use a double gang box or ring as shown here. (Picture 1-1a)
The support hardware mounting location requires a double gang ring or workbox for all models. Install a second workbox or ring at the support hardware location. This support hardware ring should be installed on the secure side of the portal being protected by the Person Reader. (above the eye line or even above a suspended ceiling, but within about 72” of the Person Reader sensor head. (Picture 1-1b).
These instructions assume a free cable space between the Sensor Head and support hardware location. If the conduit is required, use oversized deep workboxes, plaster rings, and two 1” conduits between the sensor head location and the support hardware location. Molded cable ends must pass through the conduit without being removed and reattached.
Picture 1-1a – Sensor head location
Picture 1-1b – Support hardware location
Install the Person Reader sensor head bracket vertically over the workbox or ring. It is vertically symmetrical, so there is no wrong way to install it. Each model has its own mounting bracket and only the touchscreen-equipped units require the double gang ring shown here in Picture 1-2.
Picture 1-2 – Sensor Head Mounting Bracket
The Sensor Head is shipped with the cables oriented the correct way. The Camera System cable is permanently attached on some models. Use a pull chain or snake to pull the cable bundle up from the Sensor Head location to the Support hardware location. – see Picture 1-3
|Picture 1-3 – feed cable from the Sensor Head end|
Make all connections to the back of the sensor head.
All models have a Camera cable permanently attached or with a USB 3.0 mini plug.
All models have an LED control cable (White ring on the cable end) plug into Jack 2 (See picture 2-5 NUC mounting bracket and routed cabling).
Other options, if used, may require the cables listed here.
Integrated card reader (Red ring on the cable end) plug into Jack 3 (See picture 2-4 NUC mounting bracket and routed cabling)
Touch Controller or Keypad (Blue ring on the cable end) plug into Jack 4 (See picture 2-4 NUC mounting bracket and routed cabling)
Monitor uses the HDMI cable and jack 5. (See Picture 2-4 NUC mounting bracket and routed cabling)
Speaker uses the 1/8” Audio plug and jack 3 (See Picture 2-5 NUC mounting bracket and routed cabling)
See Pictures "2-4 NUC mounting bracket and routed cabling" and "2-5 NUC mounting bracket and routed cabling"
After attaching all cables to the back of the sensor head, carefully position the sensor head onto the sensor head mounting bracket and secure with the two security screws (top and bottom) and Torx key. See Picture 1-5
Section 2 - Support Hardware Location
Insure all cables attached to the Person Reader sensor head are present at the Person Reader support hardware location. Additional cables, not from the Sensor Head, include Ethernet from the system network switch and a 2 conductor power pair most likely from the ACP location.
|Picture 2-1 Cables from sensor head and other locations|
Fit all the cables in the double gang box or ring through the round hole in the Support Hardware housing. Ensure to install the housing with the open side facing up, as in picture 2-2
Use 4 x 1” screws to attach the NUC PC mounting bracket through the housing and into the double gang work box or ring as shown. The plate has integrated standoffs that keep it about 0.25” off the housing. All cables can be routed through the notch in the lower right corner of the plate. Leave about 6” slack to allow for cabling to reach the ports on the NUC PC. There should be some ability to slide the cables to take up or increase slack. The heavier USB 3.0 cable for the camera and the USB cable with the white ring can be routed as shown below, but it isn’t required. You can leave the NUC mounting plate bracket screw in the lower right a little loose to aid in sliding cables in and out to take up cable slack. Picture 2-3
Picture 2-3 NUC mounting bracket and routed cabling
NUC – Right Side
- Power Cable – Cut and extend the Power Supply cable included with the shipment.
- Connect Ethernet cable (not included) to the Ethernet port
- Card Reader Cable - Connect the USB 2.0 cable with the Red ring to the USB 2.0 upper of the two USB ports.
- Touch Screen Cable - Connect the USB 2.0 cable with the Blue ring to the USB 2.0 lower of the two USB ports.
- Mini HDMI – to Mini HDMI port
Picture 2-4 NUC mounting bracket and routed cabling
NUC – Left Side
- Camera Cable - Connect the Blue USB 3.0 cable to the USB 3.0 Port )(Heavy Blue Cable)
- LED Cable - Connect the USB 2.0 cable with the white ring to the USB 2.0 port next to the USB 3.0 Port (White Band)
- Audio – Plug the Stereo plug into the jack on the same side as the other two cable
Picture 2-5 NUC mounting bracket and routed cabling
Person Reader Housing – Back View
- Camera Cable – Permanently connected
- HDMI – Plug the HDMI end of the cable into the HDMI Port
- Touch Screen Cable - Connect the USB 2.0 Micro-USB with the Blue ring to the USB 2.0 micro-jack below the audio jack
- LED Cable - Connect the USB 2.0 Micro-USB with the White ring to the USB 2.0 micro-jack the right of the Blue camera cable
- Audio – Plug the Stereo plug into the jack
- Reader Cable - Connect the USB 2.0 Micro-USB with the Red ring to the USB 2.0 micro-jack the closet to the HDMI Port
The NUC PC is shipped with two shoulder screws for attachment to the NUC Mounting bracket. They may be attached or be in a small parts kit with the NUC. Slid the NUC onto the NUC mounting bracket so the power button is to the left. Test fit cable length to ensure cables are long enough without being too long. Tighten the lower right NUC mounting bracket if it was left loose. Picture 2-6
|Picture 2-6 NUC with cables connected|
Only after all testing is complete, snap lower cover into place, attached and secure upper section of the cover.
|Picture 2-7 NUC housing closed|
Section 3 - Power and Access Control Panel Interconnection
The Sensor head is powered by cutting and extending the NUC’s included power supply cable.
Use 16/2 stranded wire to minimize voltage drop. The power supply should be powered through a UPS to improve reliability.
The Wiegand Converter is shipped on a mounting bracket. The mounting holes align with the Mercury EP1502/MR52 board footprint to utilize standard mounting footprints. The bracket should be installed on a Life Safety Power E2/E4 enclosure backplane or on the door of an LSP E4M1 enclosure. A single Wiegand Converter is shown on a dual converter bracket, with Ethernet cable connected and reader wiring attached.
|See Picture 3-1|
Connect the Wiegand Converter to the same Ethernet subnet as the Person Reader NUC with which it will be paired. (See Person Reader configuration instruction). The Wiegand Converter is shipped prewired to connect to a reader port like any industry standard Wiegand card reader.
The reader port must be set to output 12 VDC. The Wiegand Converter harness has an integrated 12V to 5V step-down converter. Do not remove this if cutting the reader cable to length. Insure ACP controller reader port is set to 12V only
Reader Harness Wiring:
- Red Wire to 12VDC
- Black Wire to Return
- White Wire to Data +
- Green Wire to Data –
- Blue Wire to Audio/Buzzer
- Brown Wire to LED
|Sample Wiegand Converter wiring and system interconnect overview. Picture 3-2|